Wow your guests with this beautifully decorated pistachio cake. Perfect for every season, it’s definitely an impressive centerpiece.
Frosted pistachio cake
For the cake
- Butter and flour for greasing
- 2 cups (9 oz./250g) shelled pistachios
- 2¼ cups (10 oz./280g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (11g) baking powder
- 2 pinches baking soda
- 1 generous pinch fleur de sel
- 1½ sticks <6 oz./180g) unsalted butter, diced, at room temperature
- ¾ cup (5 oz./150g) superfine sugar
- ⅔ cup (5¼ oz./150g) brown sugar
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup (4¼ oz./120g) crème fraîche
- 1 tsp bitter almond extract
- 1 cup (240ml) low-fat milk
For the frosting and decoration
- 1 cup (9 oz./250g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 7 tbsp (4 oz./110g) unsalted butter, diced, at room temperature
- 3 cups (14 oz./400g) confectioners’ sugar
- Shelled pistachios roughly chopped
- Assorted berries and fresh herbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C/Gas Mark 4). Grease a 9½-in. (24-cm) springform pan with butter and dust with flour.
- Pulse the pistachios into fine crumbs using a food processor. Place in a mixing bowl and stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and fleur de sel until combined.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together the butter, superfine sugar, and brown sugar. Using an electric beater, whisk in the egg whites one at a time, then whisk at high speed for 2–3 minutes until light and creamy. Stir in the crème fraîche and almond extract. Gradually fold in the dry ingredients. Stir in the milk.
- Transfer the batter to the pan. Bake for 40–45 minutes, or until the tip of a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Transfer to a serving plate and let cool for 15–20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. Stir together the cream cheese and butter until smooth, then gradually stir in the confectioners’ sugar. Chill for about 15 minutes.
- Spread a thick layer of frosting over the top of the cake and decorate as you wish with pistachios, berries, and herbs.
Photography © Christophe Roué 2022.
Please note: If you buy books linked to our site, we may earn a commission from Bookshop.org, whose fees support independent bookshops.