Active: 40 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
Slowly cooked in olive oil, these carrots are exquisite, especially if you love caramelized notes as much as we do. In this recipe, the sweet caramelized flavour is imbued with hints of garlic and thyme that evoke Provence. Although nothing like a dessert, these carrots are just as much of a treat.
- 5½ lb. (2.5 kg) sweet, crisp carrots
- 36 pink garlic cloves (5–6 heads)
- 1¼ cups (300 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup (200 ml) water
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves (from about 6 sprigs)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1Peel the carrots and cut them diagonally into ¼-in. (0.5 cm) slices. Peel and halve the garlic cloves and remove the germs.
2Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven or two 9½-in. (24-cm) sauté pans. Add the carrots and garlic and sauté, stirring, until lightly browned.
3Reduce the heat to low, gradually stir in the water, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
4Uncover the pan, stir in the thyme, season with salt and pepper, and increase the heat to high.
5Cook for 10 minutes, stirring with two spatulas, until the carrots are beautifully tender on the inside and crisp and golden on the outside.
- These carrots are superb with roast chicken. For rosemary-scented carrots, replace the thyme with the finely chopped leaves from a 4-in. (10-cm) sprig of rosemary. The flavour will be quite different, as will be the health benefits.
Extracted from Enjoy: Recipes for Memorable Gatherings by Perla Servan-Schreiber (Flammarion, 2020).