Serves: 2 – 3
Preparation: 10 minutes plus standing
Cooking: 12 minutes
Enjoy autumnal fruit and a cheeky dash of Calvados in this Frying Pan Clafoutis recipe.
- Butter 25g (1oz)
- Dessert apple 1, peeled, quartered, cored
- and thinly sliced
- Pear 1, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- Eggs 2
- Milk 4 tbsp
- Vanilla extract ½ tsp
- Maple syrup 1 tsp
- Lemon ½, finely grated zest
- Blueberries 50g (2oz)
- Soft mild goat’s cheese or ricotta 50g (2oz)
- Calvados 2–3 tsp (optional)
1Preheat the grill.
2Melt half the butter in a small frying pan (18cm/7in) with a flameproof handle, over a medium heat. Add the apple and pear slices and cook for about 5 minutes until lightly browned, turning them occasionally. Tip the fruit out onto a plate.
3Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and maple syrup until well mixed and frothy. Add the lemon zest.
4Melt half the remaining butter in the pan, swirl it round then pour in the egg mixture and cook for 2 minutes until beginning to set. Quickly scatter the slices of fruit over the top including the blueberries. Dot with the remaining butter and the goat’s cheese or ricotta. Put the pan under the grill for about 5 minutes until golden and puffy.
5Drizzle with Calvados if you like. Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- The apple can be left unpeeled, but if its skin is tough it’s best to peel it off. Add ground cinnamon and a splash of rum for a spicier flavour. Drizzle with a little lemon juice for a sharper pudding. Use a large frying pan and double the quantities to serve 4–6 people.
Recipe courtesy of A Zest For Life Cookbook.
What temp should the grill be? Thank you