Active time: 15 minutes
Resting time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
This orange cake is impossibly moist with just the right amount of tang and sweetness. Snag the easy, drool-worthy recipe below.
- 1 stick plus 2 tsp (4½ oz/125g) unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the pan
- 2∕3 cup (150ml) whole or low-fat milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (7 oz/200g) granulated or superfine sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1 pinch salt
- ¾ cup (180ml) + 1 generous tbsp (20ml) orange blossom water
- 3¾ cups (15¾ oz/450g) all-purpose four
- Scant 1 tbsp (11g) baking powder
- 1 pinch baking soda
- ½ cup (125ml) boiling water
1Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C/Gas Mark 6) and grease a standard loaf pan with butter. Place the butter and milk in a saucepan and cook over low heat until the butter melts. Remove from the heat.
2In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until pale and creamy. Add the salt, ¾ cup (180ml) orange blossom water, flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir until just combined.
3Gradually add the milk-butter mixture, stirring constantly, until the batter is just smooth.
4Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and let rest for 10 minutes on the counter.
5Bake for about 45 minutes, until the cake is risen, golden brown, and the tip of a pointed knife inserted into the centre comes out clean. If necessary, bake for an additional 10–15 minutes.
6While the cake is still hot, combine the generous tablespoon (20ml) of orange blossom water with the boiling water and carefully drizzle over the top of the cake. Let the cake cool in the pan before turning it out onto a serving plate.
7Dust the cake with sugar and serve.