The kind-hearted folk at Bonne Maman have shared their recipe for a cake sure to woo your loved one this Valentine’s Day. Not only is it delicious, but this chocolate heart gâteau is pretty as a picture – and the beetroot and raspberries count as two of your five a day, surely!
- 100g (3 ½ oz) cooked beetroot, roughly chopped
- 5 tbsp Bonne Maman Raspberry Conserve
- 125g (4 ½ oz) milk chocolate, chopped
- 125g (4 ½ oz) unsalted butter, diced
- 125g (4 ½ oz) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 tsp cocoa powder
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 110g (4oz) golden caster sugar
- 15g (1/2 oz) finely chopped hazelnuts
- Fresh raspberries and icing sugar to decorate
1Heat the oven to 180C, fan oven 160C, gas mark 4. Grease and line a 15cm wide, 8cm deep heart-shaped tin with baking parchment.
2Put the beetroot and 2 tbsp of the conserve in a blender and blitz for a few seconds to puree.
3Put 100g of the chocolate and 100g of the butter into a large heatproof bowl and set over a saucepan of gently simmering water for 10 minutes to melt.
4Meanwhile, sift together 70g of the flour, the baking powder and 5 tsp of the cocoa.
5Stir the melted chocolate and butter together until smooth. Now beat in the egg yolks until smooth. Fold in the beetroot puree.
6Whisk the egg whites until stiff then gradually whisk in 85g of the sugar until the egg whites are stiff and shiny. Fold into the beetroot mixture. Now sift the dry ingredients again into the bowl and fold in quickly using a large metal spoon.
7Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, turn the oven down to 160C, fan oven 140C, gas mark 3. and put in the oven for 45mins to 1hr. A skewer pushed into the centre should come out clean. Leave to cool in the tin before turning out.
8Meanwhile, make the chocolate crumbs. Put the remaining 55g of plain flour, 1 tsp cocoa, 25g caster sugar and 25g of butter into a small bowl and rub together until crumbly. Spread on a foil-lined baking sheet and put into the oven for 15-20 minutes until lightly baked. Cool.
9Finely grate the remaining 25g chocolate into the cold crumbs and add the hazelnuts.
10Turn the cake bottom up and spread with the remaining conserve. Spoon over the chocolate crumbs and pat down well into the conserve.
11Put a heart of fresh raspberries on top and dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Any of Bonne Maman’s red fruit conserves can be used in this cake. Try Black Cherry, Wild Blueberry or Strawberry and Wild Strawberry.
- The width of heart shaped tin is measured from the dip in the top of the heart to the point. If you don’t have a heart-shaped tin, use a 900g loaf tin instead.
- Vacuum-packed, cooked beetroot is available from all major supermarkets – but be sure to check label to make sure it’s not in vinegar!
- The cake without the fresh raspberries freezes well for up to one month.