Who says that vegans can’t enjoy the sweet and decadent flavors of a classic French dessert? If you’re looking for a dessert that’s both delicious and plant-based, look no further than this vegan strawberry galette recipe.
Bursting with juicy, ripe strawberries, and wrapped in a flaky, buttery crust, this dessert is the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth without compromising your dietary restrictions. It’s easy to make, requires just a few simple ingredients, and is sure to impress even the most skeptical of your friends and family. So, whether you’re a lifelong vegan or simply looking to try something new, this vegan strawberry galette is the perfect recipe to add to your collection.
Easy vegan strawberry galette
- 320 g or 1 sheet ready to use puff pastry eg Jus-Rol or some supermarket own brands. Use gluten-free if necessary – Jus-Rol has a GF version
- 800 g fresh strawberries hulled (if you leave them whole they look prettier but halving or quartering them makes them much easier and nicer to eat)
- 2 x 200ml tubs Oatly Creme Fraiche or you can make our coconut cream whip or the sweet version of our cashew cream. If you make one of these other cream options you don’t need to add the lemon juice, icing sugar and vanilla extract below
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 6 tbsp icing sugar plus a bit more for dusting, sieved
- ½ tsp vanilla extract or paste
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (fan)/350ºF/Gas Mark 4.
- Place the sheet of puff pastry on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, prick it with a fork and then pop in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Take the sheet out, turn it over, gently press it down to flatten it again and return it to the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
- Leave to cool for minimum 15 minutes.
- Liquidise 100g of the hulled strawberries and then push them through a sieve to create a smooth paste. Put in the fridge until needed.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the Oatly, lemon juice, icing sugar and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Spread the cream evenly over the cooled puff pastry sheet.
- Place the fresh strawberries evenly over the layer of cream.
- Top off with the liquidised strawberry paste, a dusting of icing sugar and mint.
Recipe courtesy of Maryanne Hall from Viva! Vegan Recipe Club