Please note: If you buy books linked to our site, we may earn a commission from Bookshop.org, whose fees support independent bookshops.
This dish is a perfect combination of rich, succulent duck meat and crisp, fresh asparagus. The duck is slowly cooked in its own fat until it is fall-off-the-bone tender, and then combined with vibrant greens and a tangy vinaigrette. The addition of new season asparagus adds a wonderful crunch and freshness to the dish, making it a perfect summer meal.
It’s not just the duck and asparagus that make this dish a standout – the dressing is a key element that brings all the flavours together in perfect harmony. Made with the finest ingredients, the dressing is not only a perfect complement to the duck and asparagus, but also pairs wonderfully with smoked meats and salty, soft goats’ cheese.
If you can’t find confit of duck, you can still make a tasty alternative by poaching two duck legs in stock for an hour until they’re very tender. Drain the duck, rub some salt and olive oil on the skin, and roast it. This will create a dish that’s just as mouthwatering as the original. So don’t worry if you can’t find confit of duck, you have an equally delicious alternative to try.
Confit of duck salad with new season asparagus
- 225 g 8oz asparagus, trimmed
- 2 confit of duck legs
- 75 g 3oz pea shoots or soft baby salad leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper for the dressing
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 9 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pink shallots finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 5 tbsp Bonne Maman Strawberry Conserve
- 3-4 tbsp sherry vinegar
Make the dressing:
- Remove the leaves from the rosemary sprig and finely chop them (reserving the stalk).
- Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan and cook the shallots and garlic with the rosemary leaves for 2-3 mins until it begins to sizzle and turn golden brown.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the remaining oil, the conserve and the vinegar. Season the dressing and pour into an empty jar. Push in the reserved rosemary stalk, seal and leave to marinate in a cool place for at least 24 hours or up to 1 week (the longer the better).
Cook the duck:
- About 2 hours before serving, preheat the oven to 220°C (fan oven 200°C), gas mark 7.
- Cook the confit of duck legs in the preheated oven for about 15 mins or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven, set aside to cool, then shred the meat from the bones. Spoon 2-3 tbsp of dressing over the warm duck meat.
Cook the asparagus:
- Cook the asparagus in plenty of boiling, salted water until just tender. Drain and immediately plunge into ice-cold water to cool. Drain and keep chilled until needed.
- When ready to serve, divide the asparagus between 6 serving plates. Top with the shredded duck and some pea shoots or salad leaves. Spoon over a little extra dressing before serving.
Recipe taken from Bonne Maman.
Did you enjoy the recipe? Let us know in the comment section below.