The town of Les Sables d’Olonne is located on the French Atlantic coast in the Vendée region of France and is the 4th largest fishing port in the country.
The main species caught in Les Sables d’Olonne are flatfish, including sole. This flatfish loves sandy bottoms and is found off the coast from January to March. Here is a delicious way to serve this delicate and flavourful fish.
- ¼ cup orange juice 65ml
- ¼ cup softened butter 80g
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 8 sole fillets
- Salt pepper
- 1/3 cup 40g lightly roasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Simmer the orange juice in a saucepan over medium heat until thickened and reduced until 1 tablespoon is left.
- Place in a bowl and mix with softened butter and orange zest.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Place the fillets on top. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange the orange butter on the fillets. Garnish with almonds.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Put the fillets on the plates, garnish with parsley. Serve with sides of your choosing. We like to pair it with potatoes and spinach with a slice of lemon.
In 2017, an association was created in Les Sables d’Olonne to celebrate this fish which is the symbol of the town of Les Sables d’Olonne.